Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Not Fade Away




"Bobby Keys: I first met Keith Richards physically in San Antonio Texas.
They recorded a song, "Not Fade Away," by a guy named Buddy Holly, born in
Lubbock, Texas, same as me. I said, "Hey, that was Buddy's song. Who are
these pasty-faced, funny-talking, skinny-legged guys to come over here
and cash in on Buddy's song? I'll kick their asses!"

"We were all staying at the same hotel in San Antonio, and they were out
on the balcony, Brian and Keith, and I think Mick. I went out and listened
to them, and there was some actual rock and roll going on there, in my humble
opinion, and they did "Not Fade Away" actually better than Buddy ever did it.
I never said that to them or anybody else."

"And then I ran into them again in L.A. when they were doing the T.A.M.I. show.
I discovered that Keith and I had the same birthday, both born 12/18/43. He told me,
"Bobby, you know what that means? We're half man and half horse, and we got a license
to shit in the streets."

"There was something about Keith that immediately reminded me of Buddy Holly. They're
about the same size; Buddy was a skinny guy, had bad teeth. Keith was a mess. But some
folks, they just got a look in their eye, and he looked dangerous, and that's the truth."

-Keith Richards, Life



 
 

Blog Archive